Since Lauren Forbus grew up as the daughter of a sheriff’s deputy, she figured the transition to being the wife of a sheriff’s deputy would be effortless. She was wrong. It wasn’t long before she experienced firsthand the fear, loneliness, and estrangement from others that can overwhelm the spouses of first responders—who walk the line between life and death every day.
After several years of navigating emotional landmines with little support and without a plan to protect her marriage, Lauren realized she and her husband couldn’t do it alone. They implemented strategies to help their relationship thrive and found backup from other law enforcement officers and their families—and from grounding themselves in the Word of God. In her interactive devotional We Walk this Line, Lauren offers a lifeline to first-responder couples. She covers topics such as
- shift work—how to keep from being ships that pass in the night;
- trauma—how to deal with seeing the worst in people every day;
- trust—how to keep truth and transparency the focus of the relationship;
- tragedy—what happens when it’s your own worst-case scenario;
- health—how to stay healthy physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
Written with candidness, grace, and humor, We Walk This Line is meant to serve as a pathway for first responders and their spouses to open the lines of communication, reconnect, and deal head on with their challenges.